Potatoes are probably known as the most eaten dish in the Netherlands. And that's not surprising, we've been eating and growing it for centuries. Over time, many new dishes have emerged and you can prepare potatoes in different ways. You can boil potatoes and bake potatoes, but what is completely hip these days: cooking potatoes in the airfryer. We are going to discuss them all briefly so that you can prepare the most delicious potato dish!
How long to cook potatoes?
We often get the question: 'boil potatoes, how long?' This depends on the size of the potatoes. On average, you cook potatoes with or without skin for about 12 to 15 minutes on the stove or 6 to 8 minutes in the microwave. See the image below to see what size should cook for how long on the stove. Do you doubt whether the potatoes are cooked ? Prick the middle of the potato with a fork, is it easy to pierce the middle? Then the potato is good. If it's still hard inside, it's best to keep cooking for a while. If the potatoes are good, you can let them cool for fifteen minutes in cold water and then serve.
Chef's tip: Do you cook with large potatoes and want to speed up the process? Then simply cut the large potato in half. This way the potato will be cooked sooner and this will save you time.
How much salt to boil potatoes?
Different amounts of salt are used, each person has their own taste. The standard is about 2 tablespoons of salt.
How long should you cook potatoes for mash?
Extra large potatoes
The cooking times above are suitable for mashed potatoes, potato salad and other dishes. Just allow for some post-cooking cooling time when making potato salad for the best texture (using an ice bath speeds up this cooling process).
How do you know if potatoes are cooked? Just stick a fork in the center of the potato. The center should be tender and have the texture of a ripe pear, or firm but not mushy.
Cooking and baking potatoes
Do you want to make crispy baked potatoes? Good choice! We often get the question whether you first have to boil the potatoes in water, but this is not necessary.
- Cut the potato into approximately 0.5 cm slices.
- Heat the skillet to medium/high heat along with butter and place the potato slices in the skillet.
- Bake the potatoes for about 10 to 12 minutes, turning them regularly so they don't burn.
- Sprinkle them with some herbs and enjoy!
Looking for a good frying pan to fry in? Then be sure to check out our popular (induction) frying pans !
Cooking potatoes with their skins on
Baking potatoes with skins is a real pleasure! Not only in terms of taste - it is also easy to prepare. Peeled potatoes are deliciously tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside!
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and place baking paper on the baking tray.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them with kitchen paper.
- Cut the potatoes into pieces of 3 to 4 cm
- Drizzle the potato pieces with olive oil.
- Arrange the potato pieces in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove the roasted potatoes from the oven with their skins on and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking potatoes Airfryer
Cooking potatoes in the Airfryer is super easy and delicious! It takes about 25 minutes of your time.
- Place the potatoes in the Airfryer, set the Airfryer to 10 minutes and 200 degrees
- After 10 minutes: shake the potatoes well in the Airfryer and set the Airfryer at 200 degrees for 8 – 10 minutes until they are golden brown.
Tip from the chef: Do you want extra results? Before you put the potatoes in the Airfryer, place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the potatoes with oil, garlic powder, Italian herbs and season with salt and pepper. Now place all ingredients in the Airfryer according to the steps above. Once the potatoes have come out perfectly, squeeze some lemon juice and cover the potatoes with parsley. Guarantees for optimal taste sensation.
Fun facts about how long should potatoes cook:
How long should potatoes cook? Cooking potatoes is a simple process, but you do need the right pans. Cook and Pan offers high quality cooking pots that are ideal for cooking potatoes. But how long should potatoes cook exactly? This depends on several factors, such as the size and type of potato you know by now. Here are 3 fun facts about cooking potatoes:
1. Most potatoes can be cooked in 20-25 minutes.
2. Cooking potatoes in their jackets is the fastest.
3. Potatoes can also be baked in the oven.
How long should potatoes cook? If you use cookware from Cook and Pan, you can be sure that your potatoes will be ready within 15-20 minutes, because the heat conduction of our pans is faster than other pans. This means cooking takes less time and you save energy. Make sure you choose the right size and type of potato, so that you have the right cooking time. If you choose small potatoes, your potatoes can be ready in 10 minutes. Larger potatoes can therefore take a lot longer. How long should potatoes cook? If you use the right pans, you can be sure that your potatoes will be ready in 15-20 minutes. Cook and Pan offers high quality cooking pots that are ideal for cooking potatoes. Cook your potatoes with Cook and Pan for best results.