How long to cook asparagus? That is a question we are regularly asked. Cooking asparagus is simple and not time consuming. You can prepare asparagus in different ways: cooking, grilling, roasting and baking. Cooking asparagus is the most often used and we are going to explain how you can easily do this too!
The best way to cook asparagus is as follows: Shallow cooking on the stove. Shallow cooking is the best of both worlds: boiling and steaming. You use little water, which means that asparagus hardly takes any time to cook. The asparagus are just not completely submerged, when you then put the lid on the saucepan, the steaming starts. This ensures a wonderful result!
How long to cook asparagus?
To answer the question 'How long to cook asparagus?' quick answer: In total it takes about 10 minutes to prepare your asparagus. 5 minutes preparation and 5 minutes cooking time because we use the best and fastest way: shallow cooking. With this method you can cook green asparagus, cook white asparagus and cook purple asparagus
To make a long story short. How do you make asparagus? Here's the easy step-by-step plan:
- Cut off the hard bottom of the asparagus.
- Fill a wide frying pan, wok or other pan to about 2 cm with water. Add some salt, sliced garlic and lemon zest for extra flavor.
- Spread the asparagus in an even layer in the pan. The asparagus should not be completely submerged in the water.
- Cover the cooking pan with a lid. No lid? It can also be done without! As a result, it is only cooked and not stewed.
- Depending on the size of the asparagus, you should cook them according to these times: small asparagus 1 to 2 min. average asparagus 5 min and large asparagus 6 to 7 minutes.
- Then rinse the asparagus with water and place them in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, lemon juice and butter to taste, if desired.
Enjoy the delicious asparagus! Enjoy your dinner.